Though work keeps me busy, I make a concerted effort to get involved with other organizations, whether charitable or industry-related. Experiences like those are important to my continued growth as a professional and as a person, not to mention to friendships that come out of them. Here are some of those experiences:
- American Advertising Federation – Kansas City(formerly the Advertising Club of Kansas City)
- Beginning with an internship my senior year of college, I’ve always been involved with this organization. I’m currently in my second two-year term on the ad2 council (the part of AAF-KC for members under age 32) and served two years as president. I devote a lot of time to this organization but what I’ve gotten in return has been far more valuable.
- For years, I’ve served on the committees for Art of the Deal, Ad Wars and Battle of the Ad Bands – ad2’s three biggest events of the year, plus helped on many other events, committees and groups.
- I was fortunate enough to be chosen as ad2 Member of the Year in 2009 and was also nominated for the same award in 2008. I’m currently in my sixth year on the board of ad2, having served as President (2x), Vice-President, Virtual Agency co-chair, Special Events chair, and now Membership chair.
- AAF-KC Foundation Board
- The Foundation awards scholarships to deserving advertising & marketing students from area universities. I’m now in my third year on this Board and the experience has been wonderful. Getting to meet with college students from all over the area, seeing their enthusiasm for this business and talking with them about their futures is a great reminder of where I came from. Being able to help them achieve their dream, however, is the best part.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Kansas City
- I can think of few more important organizations to volunteer for. After careful consideration, I finally jumped in as a Big Brother in September 2008 and couldn’t be happier with my decision – my little brother and I have a blast together and it’s been fun to see his growth in our time together.
- Sports Car Club of America – Kansas City Region
- With cars and the auto industry being one of my biggest passions, this was a natural group to get involved in. Though I’m not ready to have a race car yet, I’ve enjoyed being part of this group, attending races and getting involved other ways.
- In 2009, ER Marketing was generous enough to donate time to develop a brand-new, Drupal-powered website for the Club so that a programmer was no longer needed to make updates. The Club loved the site and it helped Kansas City earn a 2nd place award for “Best Regional Communications” at the 2010 SCCA National Convention.
- Though the award really should have gone to ER Marketing as a whole, the Club awarded me the 2009 New Member of the Year award, which I was honored to receive.
Beyond those groups that I give a lot of time to, I’m also involved with: